Visit our Web Site/ Online Store

If you arrived here from out online store, you can return by clicking right here.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Herbed Olives


Hi everyone!

I love olives. I mean looove olives! I could just sit and eat a jar of them while watching tv. And I really love the gourmet olive blends you can find at olive bars in grocery stores or specialty shops.

recipe 134

I took these pictures at our local Kroger store.

recipe 135

I try to stay away from this section of the store! Why?

recipe 136

That’s why! Now don’t get me wrong, I have had many lack of willpower moments. I am only human after all.

Today, we are going to make our own gourmet olives! Yum!

Here is my basic recipe. I do make different flavors with different added goodies. I will give you those ideas at the end of the post.

What you will need:

  • And airtight container
  • 2 Tbs Olive oil
  • 2 cups olives (your choice)
  • 1 Tbs fresh Rosemary (about 1/2 if using dried)
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 2 Tbs Fresh Oregano (1 Tbs if using dried)
  • 2 Tbs Fresh Lemon Zest

recipe 172 recipe 174

In a bowl add olives and olive oil and mix. In a mortar (or bowl) add all the other ingredients and mash up. I add a little of the olive oil. You don’t need it to be completely paste like. You just want to bruise everything so the oils are released. Add to the olives and mix well. Refrigerate for one week. Of course, I have rarely let them sit that long. I just can’t help myself!

recipe 179

These would be so pretty in an old canning jar with a label and ribbon and given as a gift. I will be making gift baskets for the holidays and this is one of the things I plan to include.

recipe 181

With Thanksgiving and Christmas right around the corner, you can get good sales on olives. I used all fresh herbs from our garden plus garlic we just harvested. So, this is a very thrifty way to have gourmet olives. Way cheaper than the olive bar prices.

These are so nice to have when you have friends over. Create a little appetizer plate for everyone to nibble on.

recipe 184 

Other things I add to  olives are:

Jalapenos

Lemon thyme

Pickled Cocktail onions

Marjoram

Roasted Red Peppers

Just go to your local olive bar and see what different things are added to all the olive combinations. Lots of fun ideas and tasty!

**Edited from original post at The Thrifty Groove.

No comments:

Post a Comment