Visit our Web Site/ Online Store

If you arrived here from out online store, you can return by clicking right here.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Fresh Veggie & Herb Salad

Hi friends!

This is a repost from my other blog. I thought it would be nice to share a recipe over here using some fresh veggies and herbs!

IMG_5590

For me, a picture of beautiful vibrant fresh picked vegetables is just as pretty as pictures of fresh picked flowers.

I decided a fresh chopped marinated salad was in order. I know we all have our basic chopped salad recipe. It could be as simple as sliced veggies and vinegar (I do that often throughout the summer). I thought I would share my recipe.

IMG_5563

A lot of the herbs that are growing are at the stage where they need to be topped. This forces the young plants to get fuller and bushier instead of tall and spindly. They get topped several times. Although at this stage of growth, the plants haven’t fully developed their flavor yet, there will be a very mild taste to them.

IMG_5564

This is fresh baby fennel fronds. Fennel is one of my favorite and most used herbs.

IMG_5565

This is baby dill. The two of them look very similar. Both fern like and wispy.

I can’t give you measurements because it really is up to your taste and the amount of veggies you use. But, this is what I add to my salad.

  • A mix of fresh chopped veggies
  • chopped up dill and fennel
  • salt and pepper
  • Splenda (you can use sugar) between a teaspoon (for a small salad) or a tablespoon (for a larger salad)
  • Fresh lemon juice (or lime)
  • Rice vinegar

IMG_5594

You can use any type of vinegar you want however, rice vinegar is a milder and less acidic vinegar than white vinegar.

Toss all the ingredients together and refrigerate for a couple of hours, tossing once in awhile.

IMG_5591

What a I love about this salad besides being yummy, easy and quick is “no fat” and very little calories. When I crave something to munch on, it is usually something with some salt and crunch to it. This fills those needs quite nicely.

This is a standard salad generally always found in our fridge throughout the summer. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment